If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Our Veterinarian near Leonardtown Wants Pet Owners to Prevent Animal Illness by Avoiding Toxic Foods

Accidental poisoning is a common reason that animals must visit the local animal hospital every year, and it's not just household cleaners and rat poison that animal owners need to be wary of. Our veterinarian near Leonardtown wants every local pet parent to be aware of the most common foods that humans can enjoy on any given day, but that can be potentially toxic to their cats and dogs. 

Dog tempted to eat toxic food.

Top 15 People Foods That are Toxic to Pets

While it may be tempting to give in to your adorable pet's begging, it's best to avoid sneaking table scraps to your cat or dog. Not only does this encourage more begging behavior—which can become very bothersome very quickly—but it also comes with the risk that you may accidentally or unknowingly give your pet something that is toxic to animals. 

Here are the top 15 people foods that are known to be toxic to animals:

  1. Alcohol 
  2. Avocado
  3. Chocolate
  4. Coffee/caffeine
  5. Citrus
  6. Coconut Oil/Coconut Meat
  7. Garlic and chives
  8. Grapes and raisins
  9. Macadamia nuts, almonds, pecans, and walnuts 
  10. Milk and dairy products 
  11. Onions
  12. Raw/undercooked meat and animal products
  13. Salt and salty snacks
  14. Xylitol (in chewing gum)
  15. Yeast dough

These foods can cause a variety of problems for your cat or dog, ranging from digestive upset to neurological damage and organ failure, or even death in extreme cases. 

What Should I do if My Pet Eats a Toxic Food?

If you know your pet has gotten into something she shouldn't have, observe her carefully. Look for any unusual signs and behaviors that may indicate a problem.

Depending on how much of the toxic food your pet consumed, you may want to go ahead and give our Leonardtown veterinarian a call. Our staff can give you some advice on what to do, depending on your pet's unique situation. If only a small morsel of the food was eaten, then taking a "wait and see" approach may be appropriate, but if you know your cat or dog ate a lot (and/or is exhibiting unusual signs and behaviors such as lethargy, tremors, and seizures) then you should bring your pet in to see your local emergency vet immediately. 

Do You Have Questions about Your Pet's Health? Contact Us Today!

 Our friendly veterinarian staff, serving St. Marys County, is happy to answer your questions. Call the Breton Veterinary Hospital today at (301) 475-7808 to schedule an initial consultation with our vet. 

If you're concerned that your pet is having a food-related emergency, call a sister emergency animal hospital at either (410) 535-9722 for Mid-Atlantic Animal Specialty Hospital or (301) 638-0988 for VCA Southern Maryland Veterinary Referral Center.